Saturday, April 18, 2009

Feeling the powah...

Two of my Canadian cousins were planning on running the Marathon this year, but as one did not qualify, they decided to wait until next year to run. But, of course, my trip was already planned and I decided that while I may not be cheering on my cousins along the Marathon route, I could at least catch up with my friends and family up here over a slightly extended weekend.

So yes, I am the public library in Concord, but at least I sitting inside and not stealing WiFi from the parking lot and worrying about hitting the horn with the top of the laptop. The town is filled with more than it's usual Colonial fervor as this weekend, besides being Marathon weekend, is Patriot's Day weekend.

Yes way back in 1775, the British came out to shut up the Concord and Lexington rif raf and LOST, thus the beginning of the Revolutionary War and The Shot Heard Round The World. Presently, there are reenactors preparing for the parade Monday and tonight is the Patriot's Ball at the armory. I sadly have missed this ball every year and I hear it is quite the soiree, with folks dressed in their best Colonial attire. Thing is, back then, I most likely would have been the help...

In the meantime, I visited my sister at the Alcott House this morning. She had just finished up giving a tour and finger puppet show to a group of Brownie's (SO CUTE!) from New Hampshire. Gotta say, you really do feel the energy of a bunch of strong women in that house and I think all young girls-and women-should get a tour at some point. But as time is tough all over, Orchard House, like many places is not getting as much money to keep it going as it usually does. That may be one reason they are listed with Partners in Preservation. Partners in Preservation is like IdeaBlog and other such sites in that there is an amount of money ready to be given, and then YOU get to vote who gets it. In this case, there is $1 million dollars up for vote to spread around to various historical sites in Massachusetts and many of these historical sites are hoping you will vote for their site more than the others. And I am now doing the same thing. I am pushing that you vote for Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House.
If you ever read Little Women, Little Men, Rose in Bloom or any of her other work and were touched by it; if you have prospered from a decent education (thank Bronson Alcott for changing the way kids are taught); if you ever looked up at the Lincoln Memorial in awe at the sculpture (Daniel Chester French was a student of May Alcott); if you just liked the various movie version of Little Women and were ever inspired to come see the actual house where Alcott wrote the book and performed the plays she wrote for she and her sisters; if you have a feminist bone in your body (or not!), you have vote to keep this site going. It is a wonderful home to see and experience. Just as Louisa contributed so much to the empowerment of women all over the world, and the family contributed so much to this nation, please see that Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House gets the funding it needs from Partners in Preservation. I assure, you it's a hard decision as there are a LOT of great sites there to vote for, but please cast a vote for Orchard House. and VOTE NOW!

That's my news of the day..

Peace -_Alex

KEEP PAYING ATTENTION!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home