Thursday, March 12, 2009

'Cause it only took a year...

When one becomes "underemployed" and then has been as long as I have, one loses track of time and space a bit. You also may beat yourself up swearing that you are not going to do anything fun until you get a job, gosh darnit. I am going to stay holed up in my apartment in front of my computer, endlessly searching job listing after job listing. You email the temp agencies you are signed up with making sure that they know that you are available; perhaps you hone your computer skills, contact your friends about jobs at their companies, keep track of the economy and other news, yet you still also somehow find time to watch far too much of the [enter cable channel you have watched far too much of here].

Well, particularly after hearing a story on NPR about a "camp" for the unemployed where folks are networking, learning new skills, and also finding other people who are free to "go to a museum on a Wednesday", I decided to follow up on an idea I've had for months, but not acted upon over not wanting to take time away from all my job searching.

VOLUNTEERING.

I can job search a few hours a day and then GO DO SOMETHING!

I know. Some of you are goin' "DUH!"

Yes, it took me longer than most to finally take advantage of the time and do something productive, but I did it, and of course will do it again.

The place I volunteered at was the Actor's Theatre Workshop where they have a fabulous program called Builders of The New World. It is an afterschool arts program for homeless children and last night was their "graduation" ceremony. I could not stay for the ceremony which included performances and displays of the children's work, but I did get to fill their schwag bags and pick up some of their dinner at a crazily busy Fairway. If you are interested in more info on them and how to volunteer for or donate to them yourself, click HERE.

Next opportunity will most likely be Friday at The Actor's Fund. I went there for a couple of job events and they do so much good work for actors and other entertainment professionals from the Shoe Fund to the Actors Home in Jersey, how I can I not volunteer there?

If you are underemployed like me, and perhaps are stuck in a rut and are not already a regular volunteer, the opportunities are all around you, and heck, could even lead to a new job!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home