Saturday, March 28, 2009

Cuz I'm a pro...

At least it looks as such on my college website.

I have no idea who submitted this...perhaps a student who's job it is to search for alumni stories on the web...or someone who took the alumni email about submitting "Your Alumni Story!" seriously. Nonetheless, it kinda blew my mind when my friend Michael texted me yesterday afternoon about how he had heard my "alumni story" on my college radio station (WERS - it really is the coolest college station, and just overall radio station broadcasting these days). And I was like "I beg your pardon?!" He calls me, tells me about it, then tells me to hit the website. I do, and this is what I found:

Alumna produces featured composer series

Broadway World reports Alexandra de Suze '93 recently served as associate producer of the featured composers series Big Night Out, with singer Jennifer Wren at New York City's Reprise Room at Dillon's. "Billed as a delicious gathering for the musical community, Big Night Out is a unique and supportive environment for performers and composers of all backgrounds to come together and perform the music that they love." Participants, with the help of resident musical director and co-host William "Bill" Zeffiro, are encouraged to try out new material, sing the roles that they aspire to play, sing the roles they will never play, or just show off for the joy of it. De Suze's many artistic forays have taken her all over New England and New York and her extensive acting career includes turns at the Prospect Theatre, the York Theatre, Passajj Productions, Speakeasy Stage, and the Public Theatre. She has sung in numerous productions at Don't Tell Mama, The Encores, New York City Center Encores!, The Bronx Opera Co., and the New York Choral Society. In addition, she has directed at the Riant Theatre and the Manhattan Theatre Source, and written a multitude of works including sketch comedy, "Single What? Female," "Following My Voice," "Stories At The Creek," and "Louder Than Words."

As I did not write this, I will let the errors of grandeur stand for the time being...

By the way...Big Night Out is happening again Thursday April 2nd and it is ALL OPEN MIC. Get out your book, your songs, your audition material that you want to test out and those songs you can't sing at auditions because they're not your "brand" or "type", but you dig them anyway (like when I heard Raul Esparza singing "Defying Gravity" from Wicked once). Big Night Out really is a fab and comfortable cabaret experience, so come on down!

Another reason I'm a pro? There is nothing like playing injured professional athlete last night icing and heating my neck and shoulders trying to relieve tension. It actually worked hence I might do it again...one of these days, it will go away...like perhaps when I get a job? Or perhaps it is just time to put on some funky music and dance it out...

In the meantime, thanks to whoever wrote my glowing bio :)

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home