Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A job that requires little talking...



but does require basic fire safety...

Gotta say, though that spinning fire last night is indeed one of the coolest things I have ever done and that poi is a new joy. Thank you Claire de Luxe , the ladies of my poi class, and thank you husband for getting me her class as a Christmas present(!!!) My shoulders might be a bit sore, but the stress that comes with being unemployed somehow disappeared with the sounds of spinning of flames. (should I be worried that I didn't stress so much about the fire flying around my head as much as I do about whether or not I will hear about a second interview from Fracture Atlas?)

I sadly backslid a bit..again...with the vocal progress. I was doing REALLY well, but then got tense, talked too much in loud places and while the nodes are smaller, they are still there and that is not good. SO, if you see me talking in a loud place, tell me shut the hell up! (or just pretend you are Dianne Wiest in Bullets Over Broadway and say "Don't speak, don't speak...")

IN THE MEANTIME...it's recommendation time. Since I can't plug myself much right now, allow me to plug my friends!

The Savvy Actor - Jodie, Kevin and Doug (surely you have heard of Doug!) are the people you want to talk to if you are looking to give a boost to your career. We are not just artists, we are a business and The Savvy Actor can help you be the best of both. I've been seeing Kevin myself, have seen Jodie perform, and know Doug and his ridonculous business savvy so check out the website and CALL THEM!

Shallow Graves Magazine - My friend Sean Kelley - professional juggler/jester, owner of and performer at the King's Feast in Rhode Island, and devoted metalhead - and his wife Yvette have started this magazine. "Shallow Graves Magazine is...a cross between Fangoria & FATE magazine. A lot of the Horror mags out there today are mostly Horror with a touch of Supernatural. We're Supernatural with a touch of Horror." And they have an online radio program Friday nights as well on blogtalkradio.com.

And while I mentioned Claire, my fab poi instructor, I should also mention the troupe she is with called Lady Circus. They will be at Bonaroo this summer if you're heading down to Tennessee, but you can also see them here in NYC as a group or as solo performers. They really are amazing and worth catching!

No Name...and a Bag O' Chips!
- Eric Vetter has been hosting this show for 15 years now and it only gets better and better. He's got a killer lineup Friday 4/10 including Tom Shillue (SuperNormal, HBO, Comedy Central...go Norwood!), and Michelle Buteau (Last Comic Standing). I have been testing out material for years with him and am every grateful when he's got a spot for me. The show is at Otto's Shrunken Head on Friday nights and starts at 7pm SHARP! Comedy, music, variety and CHEAP DOOR PRIZES! What more could you want?

Lastly but certainly not least - BIG NIGHT OUT! I will be working the door tomorrow night and it's OPEN MIC ALL NIGHT LONG! It is a good time, you get to hear some amazing music and voices and heck YOU can test out that new audition song for your book, your new showtune or pull out a fav standard you'd never get to sing anyplace else. Come on down to Dillon's on 54th for the Big Night Out!!! And dude, it's $10 ($5 with an Equity, EMCC or MAC card) and a one item minimum. That's cheaper than a movie these days :p

And people, Obama may be going a little stimulus crazy, but look what he walked into. He was left with pure ridiculousness and is trying to work it out within his first 100 days it seems. Somebody get that man a nap at Yelo between trips to the G-20 summit and the next government bailout...

KEEP PAYING ATTENTION!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home