Wednesday, April 29, 2009

So I'm listening to the BBC...

this morning and they are, like all the news outlets, talking about Obama's"first 100 days". They sent reporters to Atlanta, GA, Charlotte, SC and just outside Wichita, OK. One reason they went to Oklahoma was because it voted 97% against Obama and remains one of the most conservative states. Now I know a few folks from Oklahoma and they are good people, but the ladies the reporter spoke to...well, even he said that you wouldn't meet any more generous and welcoming souls...but then again, it was a disclaimer, and I get the feeling that the guy's not black.

He was asking the ladies about how they felt about the direction of the values in this country and one of them talked about how terrible it is now: "Homosexuality...marriage of the same sex, abortions coming out your ear," [out your EAR?] and then another lady started talking about "And the blacks taking over everything. You don't see normal ads anymore. They're all black black black black." She even believes that her business is going to be shut down because she's not black. The reporter asked her if the government or anyone had actually said anything as such to her and she had to pause for a second before saying "No, but the blacks are getting promoted more now; they're getting the higher positions now..." - "Well, you know, there might be some people listening who might find what you're saying racist," - "Well, it's racist coming down on me, now."

Man, I had hoped to hit Oklahoma while on the road last year and now I feel I need to make a special trip. I would love to talk to these ladies myself, as their view of "what are you?" would indeed be um..interesting, that's for sure...I think I would also like to give them a hug as obviously they have just not been getting enough love.

IN THE MEANTIME...MAY 22nd (good lord, is it really going to be MAY tomorrow?) I will be back at No Name at Otto's Shrunken Head testing out new material for Single What? Female. Come on down!!!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home