Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Workin' readin', the hustle continues...

And it's not just me and a good part of the general populace...the president and the Democrats are hustling now for health care reform. They have hit a brick wall with the Republicans, they feel and are now working to just get their own Congressional posse to agree on proper reform, and the public option at long damn last.

Obama may seem overwhelmed and a bit lost and disappointing, but that is just because HE IS! I don't think Jimmy Carter came into this much hoo ha after taking over for Ford - mainly Nixon. Economic crisis, health care issues, two wars, climate change, the fight for gay marriage and already %400 more death threats than the 3,000 death threats George W. recieved while in office (and George actually EARNED some of that hate). I applaud the man for not having a mental breakdown during a press conference screaming "It's too much! It's too much! I was wrong! Let Hillary take over, I don't care!" (knock on wood)

It is just an outrageous time...and for the Republicans to remain so petty about Obama and the Democrats winning that they have to poison the airwaves and the internet with misinformation, fear and hate is just that - petty and dangerous to democracy. Good God, people, work it out! I mean, do you want to be this lady getting an earful from Barney Frank? (can I just say, it makes me love him all the more?)

Okay, I will give props to one Republican right now...because despite the fact that he essentially gave George his job and his war and fought affirmative action, the man also wants to make sure that gay people can get married...

In the meantime, I saw this headline on the New York Times website - it is a preview to an article that will be in the magazine this weekend - to me, it was a "Duh!" headline and story. Yet it is shocking how many honor killings, baby drownings, rapes, etc continue in this day and age. It is well beyond times for this kind of treatment to change.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT...

The job today is slow...super slow...and it may stay that way. The woman I am back up for is out sick and things are STILL slow enough for me to gather my thoughts and type all...this. It is not a summer Friday...I am one of four people on this floor right now as the rest are working from home or not in. I figure all hell will break loose with phone calls and food deliveries as soon as Labor Day rears its "Summer's over, suckers!" tongue-waggling head, but for now...I will enjoy the confirmation of the fact that Alex cannot work from home. Alex needs an actual office and apparently the thrill of doing my work while on The Man's dime. Thus I am actually getting some stuff I would not get done at home - particularly now that our second "let's see how well we do without cable?" experiment is over and I can watch as many Law & Order: Criminal Intent's and Daily Show reruns as I want.

Tonight, the hustle continues with seeing some of a poetry reading with the MIL and the man (not The Man, my man, though while he does look more like the oppressor now, he looks darn good), and then hitting my former co-worker Brian Hampton's show In the Jungle Fun Room which is based on his actual experience working at a zoo. There are so many Fringe shows I actually WANT to see and like with social events in general in New York, you can't see them all, but I will at least get to see this one :) And hopefully the Robby Sandler produced Sex In the Holy Land...and...and...and

Before I sign off as I actually do have some paperwork that is not ME related sitting here like the Geico money staring at me and waiting for me to actually get to it, may I ask HAVE YOU CALLED/EMAILED YOUR CONGRESSFOLK?

KEEP PAYING ATTENTION!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home