Monday, May 05, 2008

Last stop: Atlanta


Atlanta, GA. (that's right, start singing Georgia on my mind...you know I just did) I haven't been to this city in 13 years (it does not seem possible that it was that long ago) and who knew that it would be the last official stop on this...I can't just say "trip"...this journey I have been on for the last 29 days. I had planned to drop in on Washington, DC, but I admit it, I miss my husband and the idea of getting back a day early overruled hitting the nation's capitol. And knowing me, I would have slacked off more than I did in New Orleans as I just love all the Smithsonian Museums and would have decided to just walk through all of them and forget to talk to people at all...unless I saw somebody intriguing in one of them...

Anyhoo, once again, my friend Doug provided me with a lovely interview in the form of his college friend Rivka. (by the way, Doug, I have now seen the picture of you when you were 4...sooooo cute!) Rivka has indeed been asked "What are you?" but finds that it is more often in the rural areas than in Atlanta proper. She explained how this most likely is probably due more to the fact that the folks who immigrated to the south tended to be white Europeans - your blond or sandy- haired Irish, English and German. Her people are Russian Orthodox Jews with primarily fair skin and dark hair (Rivka does have a quite amazing mane of black curls...if I could be sure my hair could look like hers as it grew out, I'd actually consider doing it). Like the majority of southerners I have met, she does agree that the blatant question of "what are you?" is rather rude and intrusive and prefers - and has more often been asked the more polite and subtle "Where are you from?" or even "What is your heritage?" She is happy to oblige with an answer, but at the same time, particularly as a performer, would prefer not to be pigeonholed. "What about the rest of me? What about my personality?" The "what are you?" factor for her also means, like for the Native Americans I spoke to, straddling two worlds. She grew up in and lives in an Orthodox household, but in order to perform, she did have to give up living the Orthodox lifestyle as in that culture, women are not allowed to perform in front of men. She did struggle with this decision as she feels very strongly about her faith and culture - "it is very much a part of who I am", she says - but she also feels that she was given this gift and passion for a reason. I gotta agree with her after seeing her perform at the Georgia Renaissance Faire with her groups Three Quarter Ale and Half Pint. She does at least have one outlet that allows her to live in both worlds: she directs a musical every year at the Jewish girls high school in her neighborhood and just loves it. If her girls read this, she just brags on you and is so proud. "I just love my girls!"

I have to say that this was a nice connection not only because Rivka was such a cool host and fun person to chat with, but also because her father's side of the family goes waaaaay back in New Orleans. If you know any Levine's down there or see store fronts with that name down there, they most likely are her people.

It was also fun to go from JazzFest to the Ren Faire (ah...memories of my days at the Medieval Manor...yes, I was a wench once...)

So what have I learned along the way? That, like Wendy is LA said, "there's no distinct face of America". We truly are our own entity and the "what are you?" culture we have, which is everything from honest curiosity to learn more about each other and our many mingled traditions, to something used in judgement or as a litmus test (though I am wagering with the younger generation that this is increasingly less frequent), is an ever evolving part of who we are as a people. I also feel I had it confirmed for me that, as I say in my show, we are not whats, but endless generations of whos and it does not matter "where you are from", because "we all got somethin'". There is still so much more learning to do... :p

I am presently on the train back to New York, where the next phase of this journey begins: some last interviews and then putting all this material together. But before all that begins, I have so many people to thank. There are the people who donated funds for this ages ago and just before I left (and even while on the road - thank you Michael!). There are the people who put me up and put up with me in their homes: old friends, new friends and new family. There are the folks who have been reading this blog and sending comments and positive thoughts along the way. And then there are all the people who took the time to talk to me, whether it was for five minutes or for an hour, it was such a pleasure and an honor. I have to say I've been truly blessed all around. And particularly with the support of my husband without whose encouragement and support - emotional and technical - this trip may not have happened and certainly would not have gone as well.

I should be home soon, and for those not in NYC, I hope to see y'all again soon either here or back where you are. There's still work to be done, hence this blog is not done, so come back if y'all want to stay updated on the latest! In the meantime, be well and...

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home