Sunday, April 20, 2008

Patriots weekend musings...


4/18
I have to say I am almost annoyed by the insane beauty outside my window here on the train as it is highly distracting. How is a person supposed to get any work done when if I merely turn my head, I am made thoroughly agog by the wonder of nature? As the scenery changed from the desert plains, rolling hills and scrub brush of Nevada into the towering pines and deep green valleys of the America River Gorge passing into California, I could not help but be left hunting for my camera rather than my laptop. It's either that or I end up just gazing out the window dumbstruck (and surely drooling). It's bad enough that I am the type to be distracted by bright and shiny objects; well this is well beyond something pretty in a shop window, on a person (or a person), or on the street.

With about an hour and a half before we roll into Sacramento, I have managed to pull out the laptop and am doing my best to ignore the deep cut and jagged red clay on either side of the tracks, as well as the numerous trees. Spring has surely sprung here as trees are in full leaf reminding me that by the time I get back to NYC, trees should be in full bloom in Ft. Tryon park and across the street from my building at Inwood Hill Park. I can also hear my husband (who I miss desperately by the way...countin' the days, baby) telling me about Santa Barbara, CA. Basically, on any good spring day in New York, he will suddenly say "It's like this every day in Santa Barbara, honey, every day..." And of course, I am left to remind him how I would miss the seasons...but I'll tell you, I am so ready for Spring, particularly after seeing snow in Omaha and Salt Lake, and while looking down the snow covered mountain above Donner Lake (yes, named after the doomed Donner Party). Good thing I am a New England girl and know how to work with the layers.

4/20
It is Patriot's Day weekend in Massachusetts and again, I will be missing the festivities...what? you don't know about Patriot's Day? When I was a kid, and we got April 19th off from school (before they started doing the three day weekend thing), I thought it was a national holiday. "What do you mean the rest of the country does not celebrate the start of the American Revolutionary War leading to our independence as a nation?" I would find myself asking. Growing up in Concord, where they still reennact the battle at the Old North Bridge (after the dawn reennactment of the battle on Lexington Green), as well as have a parade I marched in as a Girl Scout and later as a member of the 4-H Fife and Drum corps, the idea that this was relegated only to our town and state boggled my mind. This was the Shot Heard Round The World! The start of the War for Independence! This was how our country began! AND it was a day off from school, I mean, come on! Who are these philistines who won't celebrate the start of America? People not from Concord who are not completely surrounded by the history. I still think it should be a national holiday, but until then, should you come into Boston anytime for the marathon, take the commuter rail out to Concord and see the parade and the reenactments and get some history along with the exercise.

In the meantime, it is amazing at all that I can think of that as I sit on the train from Santa Barbara to Los Angeles. I now know that my husband was not kidding. SB, for the brief time I spent there primarily waiting for the train after overnight service from Sacramento, looks more like Greece or Monaco with it's houses in the hills and palm trees, than some place in our own country. Since leaving there, we've been cruising along the coast: the ocean to my right and the lush green hills and farms to my left. The Surfliner is more of a commuter train to me and it's tighter than the California Zephyr, but I'll tell you, the view is worth it as we pass through Carpenteria et al...I feel a bit like I am not allowed to think about living in such an area as not only is it most likely far out of our price range but...I am a New Englander. I do not understand this west coast thing. This...sunny and warm all the time thing. The west coast lush greeness...and a DRY HEAT. There are patches we pass by that look more like footage from Vietnam than the state of California. It makes me think of this piece I heard on NPR. There were two women who were headed to LA to pitch their screenplay. Initially, they hate it. They hate the people, the waiting in Hollywood, it's too darn cheery. Then, they get to pitch their script, it goes well, and they head back to New York...where it is raining...and chilly...and suddenly they "so miss LA! Oh my God it was so nice out there!" I fear this may happen to me. ..but then again, I will be spending time on the freeway, where after a few minutes in traffic I may end up crying for the subway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home