Sunday, April 27, 2008

More than BBQ in Kansas City...

Kansas City, like Buffalo, is pretty much a layover for me and I was not really expecting to interview anyone here. (my real plan was to find WiFi and then a place to nap...and, of course, some BBQ as I have a feeling the jazz musicians are not up this early). But, it turns out Virgil, an Amtrak employee who helped store my bags for the day, turned out to be a character...and he had time to kill to chat.
After I told him about my reasons for traveling, he talked to me about when he applied for a job with Amtrak...and for jobs period. When he gets to that part of the form that asks you to check race, he's always checked "other" and then written in "Human". He believes this may have actually cost him a few jobs, but when he interviewed with Amtrak, he was asked about it. "Well, I only know two races: the human race and the rat race..." This "cracked them up" and next thing you know, he was hired and he's been with Amtrak ever since.

In the words of Michael Franti, "Every soul has a right to be bloomin', stay human"

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home