Thursday, May 01, 2008

The Gentile South...


When I was first entering into Jackson, MS on the train, and it was taking a bit too long to get to the station platform, after taking a bit too long to get to Jackson, period (did I mention the sinkhole in Memphis: 24 feet wide, apparently, and one of a handful that are reeking havoc on train travel right now?) I was talking to some ladies and one of them asked me about my travels. When I explained how I am exploring the "What are you?" culture of America, she replied with "What an ill-mannered question!" and that is the general response I got from folks here.

One girl I talked to, Rita, is Hispanic-Italian and does get the question a lot, but does figure it's curiosity, let's it slide. But doesn't think it's necessarily polite either.

Another woman I spoke to, a Coast Guard gal who's name I cannot remember to save my life at the moment (sorry! but I have it on tape!), said that she has not been asked the question, but has asked it...in her head. She believes it is terribly rude to ask someone that, particularly if you barely know them. "Maybe after you know them a while..." and both of you are more comfortable, but otherwise, certainly not. She does believe it is something unique to this nation, mainly as "Americans are bold."

Lastly, I spoke to a great woman named Leah on the train. She is Cajun and yes, she gets asked all the time about it. She also finds it rude to ask, particularly as a first get-to-know-you question. She also finds that many men use this as an ice-breaker and perhaps a way to judge and finds it awkward. She told me that I ought to talk to wait staff on Bourbon St. or elsewhere in the French Quarter: "If they're Cajun...Creole...they will not hold back..." Looks like I'll have to check this out when I get there.

In the meantime, Jackson, the home of Eudora Welty, Jackson State University, and the Mayflower Cafe which has been around for 73 years, was a lovely place to stay, and thank you Pastor Rob for not only being a pleasant host but recommending Cups cafe as a place to camp out :) And look out for his friend Henderson at the Democratic Convention as he was elected as a delegate for Obama from MS.

Peace --Alex

1 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Blogger Christina Purcell said...

Ah, reminding me of my old days down in Nashville.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home