Wednesday, September 14, 2005

this close...

I am wondering how many times George's people rewrote his statement claiming that "to the extent the federal government didn't fully do it's job right, I take responsibility..." to make sure that, while he takes responsibility, he doesn't have to admit to a mistake...and I want to know who actually suggested this to Bush, and how they got him to listen to it...

I have to admit that when I heard the statement on NPR yesterday afternoon, I was like "I beg your pardon?"

Then again, before George had his press conference with the Iraqi PM, he actually did touch ground in New Orleans (waited til it dried out a bit first) and perhaps some of the horror actually kicked in...

Speaking of horror, imagine being a doctor in a hospital, during a hurricane, with water rising, the power going out, and critically ill patients on the line. Such decisions should never have to be made, hence, say a prayer for, send positive energy, give a virtual hug to these brave doctors, nurses and other medical staff who had to prioritize their patients and, in some cases, help those in the worst condition die with dignity...

and as there must be a yin and yang to everything, there are unfortunately people like the Manganos out there...and FEMA (surprise) has not been helping the situation..

And as Bush claimed yesterday that "[He wants] to know how to better cooperate with state and local government, to be able to answer that very question that you asked: Are we capable of dealing with a severe attack or another severe storm? And that's a very important question." when asked about how the Katrina reponse might be an indicator of how the government would react in future, Al Quaeda was getting themselves together for an massive attack in Baghdad today...151 people have been killed through suicide bombings and shootings... oh and the 9/11 commission found out that the FAA had been warned in '98 about the potential for an Al Quaeda hijacking...

And of course, what is the first thing that Bush wants to talk about at the UN?...not Katrina, not poverty, but terror (heard that on NPR) He wants help for Iraq, and won't set up an exit plan for Iraq, but he's considering pullout from Afghanistan...you know, where Osama Bin Laden-the guy who actually attacked us-and friends actually are/were...

It's moments like these that remind me why I am indeed going to Washington the weekend of September 23rd...and why my mom is going as well. Yes, my 70-year-old mother called and told me that she was that mad-and has been for since 2000-that she wanted to head down, so I will be protesting with my mom in DC. My sister unfortunately cannot make it down as she won't be able to get out of work, but I know she'll be cursing Bush out in spirit.

And speaking of Washington, while Bush and his people are dealing with the backlash against the Katrina response, Iraq, causing traffic here in NYC as they hang out at the UN, and high gas prices (that George could honestly control if he actually went to his oil buddies and said "hey, could you do me a favor...?"), there is a nomination hearing going on for Judge John Roberts. If ever there was a judge who could split hairs, it is this one. He is sufficiently vague about some answers, though apparently has been specific with others, but when it comes to Roe V. Wade, to use his preferred sports references, this man can bob and weave with the best of 'em...

After the events of the last several weeks, who's got money on whether or not Bush decides to take a vacation when things "die down"?

And while you ponder this, KEEP E-MAILING!!! I know I've been bad of late as I am directing the short play AWAKE by Meryl Cohn for the Estrogenius Festival at Manhattan Theatre Source and just went through some casting drama, but tonight we will indeed have our first readthrough and it should be a good time :)...hence I can get back to e-mailing, calling, writing, or faxing my friends and family, my Congressfolk and the press and let them know, like you will, that I am PAYING ATTENTION! Pass it on, pass it on, pass it on :):):)

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home