Monday, November 15, 2004

If you remember one thing...

it's to copy your blog entries cause when you type something really long, and then for some reason or another, the blog publishing mechanism decides to freak on you and lose your whole entry, and you didn't copy it or save it as a draft, you ahve to do what I'm doing right now which is frantically try to remember everything I typed in earlier. GAH!

ANYWAY, here's the scoop:

Item 1: As I try to take the weekend to clear my head, like most people, and perhaps not watch or read as much news as I might during the week (I am a bit of a junkie), I totally missed the whole Bloggerman Conspiracy! Apparently, some guy on his blog, was saying that Olberman was "fired" and had then disappeared from sight-and site-due to his work on trying to figure out the voter fraud scandal. Not so, as Mr. Olberman well explains on his blog today. The man is just ON VACATION (and deservedly so, I might add), but shall indeed return in order to keep all this going (as well as handle other news issues on his show). In the meantime, his crack staff will be keeping up the fight in his absence, so never fear Bloggerman fans. And heck, due to all this aatention, there are FINALLY more people (papers and shows that is) taking up the cause or cursing us out, but at least it's making news. There's a bit on this in the Bloggerman entry, as well as info on a new exit poll study that shows, much to the right's chagrin I am sure, that folks may not have been voting as morally as initially thought. AND, you can see info on the latest on the Nader/Cobb recount bids (cause remember folks, a recount is a recount is a recount). Think I'm lyin'? See for yourself at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6210240/

And speaking of news at MSNBC, nothing was like going there this morning to check on Olberman when there on the front page is this large pic of Colin Powell with the large headline "COLIN POWELL RESIGNS". I admittedly found myself goin' "Yee HA!" About darn time. Yeah, we've been expecting this, as he has, more often than not, disagreed with the President over many things, particularly those war related, but as he stuck it out, getting more entrenched in that cabinet (or shall I say pushed further back on the shelf? sorry), one had to wonder if he had actually become one of "them" and wasn't going to fight his way out (I personally was waiting for his to snap during the 9/11 hearings: "IT'S ALL A LIE!! IT REALLY IS JUST TO GET BACK AT HIS DAD! AND FOR OIL! I"VE GOT PROOF! and he brandishes tapes as secret service officers try to tackle him on the floor). But he has now taken the opportunity to just say no and get out while the getting is good. The one fear we all have now is WHO WILL REPLACE HIM? For more on the story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6492238/

AND for those of you who thought I was crazy...that thought it wasn;t possible that the Southern Baptist Convention and other evangelical groups would want "payback" for their gettin' out the vote, well, to you I say HA! Here's Newsweek's take on it. The article is called "Of Prayer and Payback"...and, forgive me, but if you look at the photo of Falwell and Rove, is it just me or does Rove's head look positively cartoonish-as in cartoon villain material?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6479271/site/newsweek/

And speaking of the far right, Arlin Specter, as perviously mentioned has an uphill battle as he tries to take over as Chairman of the Judiciary Committee. I wish I'd been able to hear the whole exchange (the street cleaner truck always has to go by my window when something IMPORTANT is being discussed on the morning TV) but I do believe Tim Russert on the Today show this morning was talking about how there are Republicans looking to get a pledge from him that he will not block pro-life appointees if George passes such names on to him. Good Lord. Specter himself apparently said on "This Week" yesterday that he would "be a team player" if elected Chairman which makes me just wanna say, aw come on Arlen! Don't "flip flop" on THIS!! Here's what MSNBC has to say about the whole thing:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6485741/

IN THE MEANTIME...allow me to just throw in something lighter now...

This weekend, I went to a benefit for a wonderful group called Fractured Atlas that sponsors artists in order for them to get grants and such so they can do their art. It was a truly inspiring evening of seeing how art-whether it be paintings and scupltures, photographs, dance, music, spoken word, etc-crosses blue and red state and cultural lines...and should...and is a common thread uniting us all as members of this truly unique, complex and diverse nation. My father made documentary films primarily because he felt that "we are all brothers and sisters in the world" and we need to learn about each other and live properly with each other. There are those who would rather isolate themselves and remain in one facet of time and space rather than experience the change, or perhaps even embrace it as it occurs around them. But art can be a bridge between these worlds and is just that to me. I say visit the site for this group and see links to the artists they represent, particularly the group "Smokin' Word", the photographer Bill Hayward, and opera/media company "The Voyeur" something Company (sorry guys I don't have my program on me!). Also check out a link for the upcoming documentary film "iThemba!". It is about the AIDS crisis in South Africa and, if the trailer is any example, it will be powerful experience.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST...

I was talking to my mom over the weekend and she was telling me how she was talking to a friend of hers and they pretty much decided that the only way Bush was going to get kicked out of office was if Bush got caught drunk driving with a prostitute in the car and coke in the glovebox (*just picturing the cops pulling over this borrowed blue Gremlin: "okay buddy, get out the-HOLY CRAP! Mr. President? I'm sorry Mr. President but I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the vehi-HEY, aren't you..Monica Lewinsky?!?"...) but as amusing as that thought may be, I do hoep they bust him voter fraud, Haliburton and the war first.

All right, back to the dayjob I must go, but remember KEEP E-MAILING!! Write, call, e-mail, fax your Congressfolk (they are back now!), and your local newspapers, media outlets, family friends, etc etc etc and, as always, pass it on, pass it on, pass it on!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home