Thursday, February 24, 2005

Bush, Putin, and leaving the kids behind

you know, as much as I complain about my day job-you know, how it dare gets in the way of my personal business-I am glad I have one as it was reported by the AP (I think, all I know was that the story was on Yahoo news this morning when I first groggily looked at it) that the jobless rate is "higher than expected". Yeah, this economy rocks!

IN THE MEANTIME...

Yes, Bush apparently has made a pact with Putin. I believe the quote from the CNN article was something to the effect of how they have agreed that "Iran should not have nuclear weapons. North Korea should not have nuclear weapons". Okay, can they then agree that the US and Russia should not have them either? I've always wondered why WE have to have them if nobody else can have them...

Bush also is "considering" incentives for Iran in order to keep them from building up a nuclear program (kinda sounds like his "not ruling out" a tax increase for Social Security), but he won't enter talks "directly" with Europe about this (which of course is what Europe would like). Okay, here's what gets me. We are trying to get North Korea and Iran and other problem areas to enter into talks with us, but we won't enter into talks about Kyoto and incemtive for Iran...why should anybody want to talk with us...is it just me...?

Speaking of the President speaking...I mentioned in my last entry this fabulous book by George Lakoff and how he talks about the linguistics of the conservatives. Well, Fox News obviously got the memo as they have been changing the words of actual quotes of AP reports in order to match the Adminstration lingo...if ever there was proof of Fox being a mouthpiece for the White House...

In the "things George doesn't want to hear" category, besides hearing that Putin has his view of democracy and will let George keep his, a bipartisan group of state legislators-from all 50 states mind you-has released a report on No Child Left Behind declaring the program a "flawed, convoluted and unconstitutional education reform initiative..." And apparently they feel that "under NCLB, the federal government's role has become excessively intrusive in the day to day operations of public education"...now aren't the conservatives for LESS government in states' issues? Well, it ain't the first time with this White House...and these are the people that don't like Buster the Bunny visiting lesbians...(and can I just thank WGBH for airing the episode of "Sugartime!" when it was supposed to be aired?)

And can we have a little chorus of "Oooo Canada!". According to NPR and Yahoo news (I'd give the link but they update so often it'd be gone by the time I sent this) Canada has declared that they will NOT be part of the missile defense shield. Apparently this move is further straining relations between the US and Canada, but when I read that, I was like "Are you kidding me? More people'll want to move there now!"

All right the phones just keep ringing, but between calls, KEEP E-MAILING!! E-mail, call, write, fax your friends and family, the press and your Congressfolk and let them know that YOU ARE PAYING ATTENTION! And as always, pass it on, pass it on, pass it on!

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home