Wednesday, March 19, 2008

TODAY and SINGLE WHAT? FEMALE hits the road!

Find a vigil and remember that this war in Iraq is STILL going on and has no official end in sight unless Clinton or Obama get into office.

AND...in OTHER news...

For years, I have been working on my show Single What? Female and have been trying to get grants to help me afford to travel across the country in order to interview folks about the "what are you" culture of our nation. People have donated to my fractured atlas page and have been wondering what is going on!

Well, no grant as yet, but the trip is still being planned. I will be taking the train across and back during the month of April and have a fairly set route, but am looking for places to crash along the way. If you know of anyone in the following cities and towns who might be kind enough to give up their couch for a night or two to this tall, ethnically ambiguous girl who will gladly do dishes, feed animals, babysit, etc in return, I would be much obliged. I will also be checking with CouchSurfing.com and with local motels, but having friendly folk to meet me at the train (or be within walking/biking distance) would be ideal :)

I do thank you for all suggestions whether it be people or a motel/youth hostile/etc let alone any particular place to visit! (particularly as I picked some of these places due their a) not being a major city b) being a potential break place c) having a nice name...who wouldn't want to check out a place called Helper?

It's a LOT of ground to cover in a month and depending on housing and all, the route is subject to change. If you can help at all with this, email me and let me know :) Your support and aid, here, really do mean the world to me as I start the next phase of this journey. As I continue research train schedules,I will know more about when I'll be where. Right now, I would like to visit these places between April 7th and May 7th

I have an email specifically for the road: singlewhatfemale@gmail.com. I will also be getting back here and will be blogging along the trip (I figure when I'm not sleeping on the train, I will be typing on the train).

And now...the schedule. I did say that due to train schedules and such things would be subject to change and they certainly have been. Not too much, but enough to make me want to fight for folks to take the train more so there are more convenient routes in the west :p It is a TIGHT calendar, hence no real wiggle room if I miss a train, but so far, this is what I got.

April 7 7:15am NYC to Niagara Falls, ON (arr. 5:45pm)
April 8 10:22 am Niagara Falls to Buffalo-Depew (arr. 1:25pm) afternoon in Buffalo.Depart for Chicago 11:55pm
April 9 Arr. Chicago 9:45am
April 10 Dep.Chicago 2:oopm to Galesburg, IL (arr. 4:38pm)
April 11 Dep Galesburg 4:38pm to Ottumwa, IA (arr 6:53pm)
April 12 Dep Ottumwa 6:53 to Omaha, NE (arr. 10:29pm)
April 13 Dep Omaha, NE 10:29 to Denver,CO (arr. 7:15am)
April 14 Dep Denver 8:05am to Granby (arr. 10:37am)
April 15 Dep Granby 10:37am to Helper,UT (arr. 7:20pm) OR *Salt Lake City (arr. 11pm)
April 16 Dep Helper or SLC to Winnemucca, NV (arr. 7:10am)
April 17 Dep Winnemucca 7:10am to Sacramento (arr. 4:11pm)
April 18 Dep Sacramento 7:40pm to Los Angeles (arr. 9:45 am...ouch)
April 19 LA - side trip to La Verne and possibly Redlands
April 20 Dep LA 2:30pm to Maricopa, AZ (arr. 10:07pm [ no daylight savings])
April 21 Maricopa
April 22 Maricopa
April 23 Dep. Maricopa 10:17pm to **Alpine, TX (Arr. 2:20pm)
April 24 **Alpine
April 25 **Alpine
April 26 **Alpine to San Antonio,TX
April 27 San Antonio
April 28 San Antonio
April 29 Dep 1:00am San Antonio to Lake Charles, LA (arr. 9:34am)
April 30 Lake Charles
May 1 Lake Charles
May 2 Dep. 9:34am Lake Charles to New Orleans (arr. 4:00pm)
May 3 Dep NOLA 7:10am for Birmingham, AL (arr. 2:38pm)
May 4 Dep Birmingham 2:44pm for Atlanta, GA (arr. 8:21pm)
May 5 Dep Atlanta 8:25pm to Greenville, SC (arr. 11:15pm)
May 6 Dep Greenville, SC 11:15pm to Washington, DC (arr. 10:10am)
May 7 Dep Washington, DC 9:25am to NYC (arr. 12:43pm)

*I would like to do Helper, but as I have had two offers for places to crash in Salt Lake, this may change
** I would like to do Alpine, for it's convenience along the route and Big Bend National Park, but a couple of folks have mentioned having people in El Paso so this may change as well.

I should also very soon have a YouTube video up soon as well which is to help get interviews. I will send the link out later today and will post it on my blog as well :)

Again, I thank you for your gracious offers and good vibes :)

Peace --Alex

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home